"Spintronics" covers a wide range of research areas, such as material science, condensed matter physics, device engineering, and system application, where a spin degree of freedom is utilized. The recent progress of spintronics is remarkable in terms of fundamental physics as well as technology for applications. It has led the discovery of various kinds of novel quantum phenomena based on the interaction among spin, charge, light, and heat, as well as the synthesis of new materials. Devices and systems for saving or creating energy have also been developed by using spintronics to construct the environment-friendly social infrastructure.
Tohoku University has been in the forefront of spintronics research. Several departments and institutes at Tohoku University are involved in the research. They include Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Institute for Materials Research (IMR), Research Institute of Electrical Communication (RIEC), Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials (IMRAM), Advanced Institute for Materials Research (AIMR), Center for Spintronics Integrated Systems (CSIS), Center for Innovative Integrated Electronic Systems (CIES), and Frontier Research Institute for Interdisciplinary Science (FRIS). In addition, we are establishing a system to promote spintronics not only from research activities but also from global education by founding Graduate Program in Spintronics (GP-Spin) from 2014.
For further promotion, Tohoku University, where many spintronics-research groups have carried out the world-leading research, will progress the international competitiveness in Japanese research in spintronics to create the innovation to address social challenges. It is also important to promote the development of the next-generation human resources who act internationally. Therefore, we establish “Center for Spintronics Research Network” (CSRN) to push forward with the joint research related to spintronics with domestic and foreign research institutes.
Construction of the Spintronics Research Network by 4 universities
Tohoku University established the Center for Spintronics Research Networks with the University of Tokyo, Osaka University and Keio University to gather the power of the world’s leading researchers in major domestic research institutions (universities, national research institutes, companies) for contribution to the society through the innovation in cooperation with research institutions in the world.
Outline of CSRNs
We establish the research network among world’s leading research groups and research institutes in cooperation with research centers listed below.
- Tohoku Univ.: Fabrication and characterization of spintronics devices and integrated systems
- Univ. of Tokyo: Fabrication and characterization of spintronics materials and devices
- Osaka Univ.: Design of spintronics materials and devices
- Keio Univ.: Fabrication and characterization of quantum spintronics materials and devices
- Construction of network among world’s leading research groups and research institutes
- Activation and innovation of spintronics research in Japan by promotion of the close exchange and joint research
- Formation of the network of large-scale research center by promotion of joint use of the characteristic equipment and facilities in each site.
- Realization of the strengthening Japanese industry, creation of new industries, energy-saving and environment-friendly society, through the invention of new science and technology by joining of different research fields (physics, applied physics, electronics, magnetic engineering, material science, chemistry, information science and the boundary area and new area)
- Development of next generation researchers and engineers with creativity who can play an active role in the world
- Provision of the place for exchange of ideas and opinions about state of the art research achievements
- Information dissemination of our research results to domestic and overseas.